Hot Water Tank Calgary – Installation and Repairs
Gas Water Heater
Gas water heaters cost more initially, but have significantly lower operating costs than their electric counterparts. While they do require regular maintenance, they do not experience scaling due to hard water like electric water heaters do.
Gas water heaters have a shorter recovery time and can deliver a higher volume of hot water. For instance, when a gas water heater runs out of hot water, you’ll only have to wait 20 mins for more. An electric water heater can take an hour. Thanks to these traits, a gas water heater is an ideal choice for larger households of 4 or more.
Installation is a bit more complicated, because it will need venting outside and a larger gas line. If you have an undeveloped basement, it is the perfect time to make the switch. If you have a developed basement, our plumbing and heating experts can assess whether venting can be achieved easily.
Electric Water Heaters
Electric water heaters are less expensive to purchase and install than gas water heaters. They’re hardwired into your home’s electrical panel, so it’s important to check if your existing service is large enough.
Due to the fluctuating nature of electricity rates, operating costs tend to be higher. Electric water heaters are better suited to smaller households as they can’t provide as high a volume of hot water as gas water heaters. Recovery times tend to be around 1 hour.
Tankless On-Demand Water Heaters
Tankless on-demand water heaters are becoming increasingly popular. They may be pricy when compared to tank water heaters, but they’re highly efficient. As industry regulations change to require more high-efficiency water heaters, we believe that the demand for tankless will increase.
Why are tankless on-demand water heaters such a great option?
- They take up much less space than a hot water tank.
- They can deliver an unlimited supply of water. Other water heaters are limited by the amount of water that can fit in the tank.
- They’re more efficient. They don’t spend energy heating up water until it’s necessary.
- They’re easy to use and repair, in comparison to tank water heaters.
- Navien water heaters come with a 15-year warranty and feature a hot water recirculation system. This system makes sure that no hot water, that can be used, is lost.
What should you consider before purchasing a tankless on-demand water heater?
- Because of buildup issues from hard water in Calgary, it’s highly recommended that you purchase and install a water softener. This is an additional cost.
- It’s not as practical for larger households, over 4 people, or large homes. Frequent high demands on the system can cause early burnout. Instead, we would recommend a residential boiler.
- Installation requires a full day of work, to change out various components.
- If the power goes out, there is no storage tank of hot water.
Residential boilers can effectively replace your furnace and water heater. This means that you’ll have one less appliance to worry about and more space in your mechanical room! Like a tankless on-demand water heater, residential boilers are more energy efficient than your typical hot water tank. It can also handle higher volumes of hot water, which makes it the perfect choice for larger families and homes.